Friday, June 8, 2012

Letters, We Get Letters...We Get Lots and Lots Of Letters








I’m very interested in letters. When I was a young girl, I used to love to receive letters from my parents while I was at 4H camp. It was such a short time, but so important to hear from loved ones far away…it was maybe 50 miles? Then when I was in nursing school, I loved receiving letters from my parents, my friends and my boyfriend. When I was lonely, I received letters from soldier boys…one of them I fell in love with and married. We are still married 43 years later and still have all of the letters we wrote to each other while he was in Viet Nam. So, while we were visiting Appomatox, I came across these letters which I hope you will enjoy as much as I did. There was also a letter from a soldier who came across a dying soldier from the opposite side. He was asked to kill the Confederate because he had been shot through the spine. The Union soldier couldn't honor his request. So, the Confederate asked the Union to give him a gun so he could end his misery and the Union soldier would not do it. In the end, the Confederate lived and was healed...amazing grace! Imagine how his mother felt when she received the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and click on "Publish" You can also subscribe to my blog via email.